Electric hypercar developer Rimac Technology officially becomes its own entity

The Rimac Group is now fully operational as an umbrella company that incorporates Bugatti Rimac and the new standalone Rimac Technology business. The Rimac Group is the majority shareholder in Bugatti Rimac with a 55 percent stake and Porsche owns the remaining 45 percent.

Rimac Technology, the sister company to the previously known Rimac Automobili, is set to become a completely independent company, 100 percent owned by Rimac Group.

- Advertisement -

It will continue and expand its activities in the engineering, development, production and supply of high-performance battery systems. Plus, it will do the same with its electric drive units, electronic systems and user interface components that Rimac is known for, having established a reputation as a leading provider of advanced performance electrification technologies.

Rimac Technology currently works with many major automotive manufacturers across Europe. The company uses its engineering expertise in developing the Nevera electric hypercar to offer a range of products that takes customers through the entire product creation process from concept to large-scale production.

Rimac Technology have worked with many global original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) including Porsche, Hyundai, Kia, Automobili Pininfarina, Koenigsegg and Aston Martin. Plus, there are additional projects that are still unknown to the public.

Having delivered components for several niche volume projects in the past years, Rimac Technology is ramping up its production capacity and will be manufacturing tens of thousands high-performance systems per year by 2024. The company will also further ramp up volumes of products ranging from small hybrid battery systems to full rolling chassis.

As CEO of Rimac Group, Mate Rimac will run both Bugatti Rimac and Rimac Technology. Bugatti and Rimac Automobili will both continue as separate respective brands, both operating as part of Bugatti Rimac.

The two brands will share research and development and other core functions while retaining existing production facilities and distribution channels. Bugatti Rimac represents the company that will develop the future of both Bugatti and Rimac vehicles.

Rimac Technology, based on the outskirts of Zagreb, Croatia, currently employs 1,000 people. The Rimac Group, including Rimac Technology, will be headquartered at a new 200,000 square-metre Rimac Campus on the outskirts of Zagreb in Croatia.

The headquarters will be large enough to accommodate over 2,500 people and the Campus will incorporate every aspect of the Rimac Group business. This includes production of the Nevera next-generation all-electric hypercar and high-volume production of components for other OEMs.

It’s good to see that high-end engineering from Rimac will be used as filter down technology to aid the wider electric vehicle industry to become more efficient and create economies of scale. Hopefully, this will help speed up the adoption of electric vehicles across the whole spectrum.

Mate Rimac, Rimac Group CEO, said: “If we go back to the beginning of the Rimac Automobili business in 2009, the dream for me was to build my own electric hypercar.

“With Nevera we believe we’ve achieved that dream, creating a car that is not only the fastest accelerating in the world but also comfortable, usable and brimming with our advanced technology.

“Nevera isn’t just a standalone project, it’s a showcase of what Rimac Technology can do free from the costs or volume restraints of a large-scale manufacturer. We believe once you’ve pushed the technology as far as it can go, it makes it a lot easier to scale it up to higher volume and lower cost.

The e-Axles, Torque Vectoring, battery systems, connectivity, AI and countless other electrical systems on the Nevera are the brand’s own creations. Each of them can be scaled to suit applications that might be found on a range of higher volume performance vehicles.

Rimac added: “Separating the technology business into its own entity is a natural step as the focus of the two markets, hypercars and components, are completely different.

“For example, the products of Rimac Technology, while being on the cutting edge of performance, also need to be extremely cost competitive and producible at huge scales, while those issues are secondary for the hypercar business.

“This new structure will enable each company of the Rimac Group to flourish to their full potential, while still sharing the synergies between them – for example using our own hypercars as testbeds for new technology before we offer it to other OEMs.”

Ian Osborne
Ian Osborne
Editor-in-Chief at ElectricDrives

Related Articles